Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Last Day of School

Second term ended on Friday with me working a week long block on a Kindergarten class at a local school. The sweet group of eighteen children were very helpful all week, showing me what to do, where to go and advising me on what I could and couldn't do. At one point I found myself saying, "No dear, don't chew on your shoelaces." A statement which continues to give me the giggles days later. All these factors are normal events in a casual Kindergarten teachers day. However, one event really stuck in my mind.

On the Thursday we were all instructed to come to school in fancy dress, as the Principal. Mr H was retiring and there was to be a special assembly in his honor to farewell him. All six hundred children filed into the hall and sat quietly in lines, eagerly awaiting the fanfare. Mr H sat in a chair by the front, labelled with a colourful, hand-drawn sign reading 'Principal's Chair' and folded his hands neatly in his lap below his generous belly, smiling as he observed his school.

The itinerary of events included displays of dancing, Beatles medleys by the band and a wonderful rendition of Hallelujah by the choir that very nearly left me in tears. Then Mr H was presented with a lovely book by the year six class to preclude his speech. He spoke of his seven years at the school with such fondness my heart was warmed despite the winter chill. I was amazing to realise he knew the names of most of the children and had greeted each one personally on their first day of school. I knew his to be a man who was on the playground roster and despite his busy schedule, never shirked his duty. He also covered for teachers in their classrooms when called away. There was clearly a lot of love and respect flowing throughout the room and the emotionally charged event was inspirational.

I aspire to be an educator like Mr H, improving facilities and the quality of teaching surrounding the children in his care, creating a warm and secure environment for them to learn in and a supportive environment for the teachers to build a rich and comprehensive educational setting for all.

He closed with a joke about the costumes. He complimented the skinny Mr H look-a-likes but was sure that the fat ones had made a mistake. Then he left the hall in a guard of honor and as we were left to contend with hundreds of children running about the playground, he slipped away to begin his life ever after.

The next day we all said goodbye to the playgrounds and classrooms for a two week rest. I woke up the first day with a head cold, as is usually the way in the winter term. But at least I have time to rest and recover, just in time for another fascinating term in the world of children.

No comments:

Post a Comment