Sunday, July 4, 2010

Deck a Duck

Saturday the 3rd of July was a wonderful sunny day with a light breeze that blew through the treetops. As the first day of the school holidays I was not eager to get out of bed. Eventually my growling tummy called me to the kitchen for a tasty fruit salad with yogurt. I had an exciting day ahead of me and I was eager to get out and amongst it. I donned my Red Riding Hood coat and headed out the door with Tim in tow.

We were heading for the annual Deck-a-Duck gala hosted by the extravagant Simon Costain. He threw this thing as a birthday event and has done so for the past three years. The first year he threw it, I was there, but having mis-understood the premise I found myself wearing very silly high heeled boots. We gathered on the town hall steps, all dressed in red, to find ourselves face to face with a giant Donald Duck and a man in a shiny red cape telling us the instructions.

The instructions were: The duck gets a one minute head start. We get clues on where the duck is heading. Catch the duck and hit it with a rolled up newspaper. You then become the duck and again, get a one minute head start.

The chase zig zagged between fantastic historical pubs in the centre of Sydney and therefore, my shoes became sillier and sillier and this year people even reminded me to wear comfortable shoes. I intended to, and I did. I didn't chase the duck, but was there in time to watch it changing hands (much to the horror of nearby children - imagine seeing Donald Duck running up, being pummeled with newspaper and then taking off his own head) and also to join in the revelry in the Botanical Gardens as the sun went down.

My late start meant I was not in the state many others were when the festivities came to a close, nor was I as dressed up. There were The Incredibles, Red Suit Men, Sargent Pepper and a mankini (in green, not red, but the dedication was there). With a few late night sloppy snoggers left in the corner and the mysterious disappearance of Story, we turned for home, safe in the knowledge that the tradition will continue next year and maybe then I will get there on time and be in the right gear. Thanks Simon - bring on Deck-a-Duck 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment